Miss Brooklyn


Sunday, April 25, 2010

Whew! Now that all of THAT is over....






I can finally breathe! I mean, i've clearly been breathing this whole time, but you know what I mean. ;) These past two weeks have been absolutely jam packed with all sorts of crazy things in my life and i'm just now finding my self with a little bit of time to share.
For starters I found myself really freaking out two weeks ago about everything going on in my life and how I was going to find the time to get all of the things I needed to do done and in a timely manner. I was in the middle of changing from one job to the other and literally working ALL day, every day. On top of that, I was extremely worried about all of the things I needed to do in order to prepare for workshop this weekend including shopping, getting paper work done, maintaining work and having two appearances. This may all sound trivial, but we all know that nothing gets done quickly in New York.
My parents came to save the day. Last Wednesday I got a call from my mom that said she would be in on Friday and leave on Sunday to help me do whatever needed to be done before this weekend. I cried. I felt kind of stupid about the fact that I was crying, but honestly, it never fails: my mother can always find a way to help or make things better.
So, upon her arrival last friday, we promptly completed all of my necessary paper work to be turned in and hit the pavement. We shopped all day Friday and Saturday and were successful in finding an interview dress and something to wear to workshop. Along with that, we were able to try on a few swimsuits, but there are still a few things I need to purchase before June.
After mom left on Sunday, I went straight back to work doing both jobs until Wednesday night when I had an appearance at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater in Manhattan. WFMU radio show hosted an interview with me and a few other people throughout the city- it was quite the experience. Every man in the audience said "Va Va Voom" to me... individually. Haha!
http://sevenseconddelay.blogspot.com/2010/04/your-picture-with-miss-brooklyn.html
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/35501


You can listen and check out pictures at those two links!


Thursday morning April 22, I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Block Institute in Brooklyn to be a part of their Earth Day celebration. The Block Institute School provides educational and therapeutic services to young children with a variety of developmental disabilities. I was able to help till the garden, use the compost, plant lima beans, plant flowers in front of the school, paint rocks for the garden and even help raise money by purchasing a cookie at their Earth Day sale of art, jewelry and baked goods! The morning was packed full of activities for the children to participate in and the tight schedule kept them movin' and shakin' from one to the next. I am so thankful to the director, Mr. Adleman, for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of such a special day!
And lastly, there was workshop. Amaris, Joelle and I left fairly late Friday evening to make our way to Albany and prepare for the early morning we knew we had yesterday. After waking up and getting ready, we caught a cab to the University at Albany SUNY campus to meet the 2010 class of Miss New York and Miss New York's Outstanding Teen contestants. The day was long! Full of dance rehearsals, orientation, interview prep, wardrobe information and mingling with the other girls. It was so nice to meet everybody and I'm really excited that it's such a small group! By the end of the week, I feel like we will all be good friends. I am so excited for June!
Now, though, it's time to kick into gear and put my nose to the grindstone!


Keeping you updated,


Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment