Miss Brooklyn


Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wow!


What an honor, Brooklyn!

It has only been three days since I was fortunate enough to receive the title of Miss Brooklyn 2010 and the response from everyone has been absolutely overwhelming. This past Sunday was such an eventful one, but I could not have accomplished anything this weekend without the support of my family. Thank you Mom, Dad, Kerri and Marty for coming all the way to New York to cheer me on in this endeavor. I know that I made it through this weekend because all of you were here! Also, a big thank you to Joe, Travis and Ben for being such great sports and supporting me always! It appears that I have been welcomed into the Miss Brooklyn Scholarship Organization with open arms and I cannot wait to represent this amazing borough.
I would like to acknowledge all of the young women who competed for the title on Sunday; Teresa, Aubrie, Venuza, Ireen, Sydney, Christina, Amanda and Breanna, I had such a GREAT time getting to know you all. You were the nicest, most genuine girls I have ever come in contact with back stage and I hope that each of you will continue on the journey that is the Miss New York/ Miss America Organization (I know we all talked about how beneficial it is!).
As soon as they crowned me, Amaris (I'm sure I will be referring to her quite a bit from now on... she is the new Miss Brooklyn Org. Director) said to me "get ready for a crazy year because it will never stop!" I'm already beginning to think that she is right and I LOVE it! I thrive on being busy and I am already enjoying the many press emails for write- ups in local papers. I look forward to the appearances and opportunities that will help me promote my platform, the Dove: Campaign for Real Beauty and Miss America's Platform: Children's Miracle Network.
The Campaign for Real Beauty was created by Dove to "help free the next generation from self- limiting stereotypes." If I can be a part of that mission and dream by reaching just one young woman throughout my journey as Miss Brooklyn, I will consider my reign a success. An only child, I was "raised by the village" in many ways, but the most important thing to me has always been the level of support from my family and friends. My "pseudo dad," Sean, once quoted to me "To whom much is given, much is expected." I have been given the gift of endless encouragement and support (along with quite a bit of financial help). I realize that there are many girls here in Brooklyn, in our great state and in this country who go weeks or months without so much as a pat on the back. My goal is to reach out to those young girls through educating them on body image and promoting a clearer definition of beauty. My hope is that this blog will allow you to follow me on that path.
Aside from my platform and the obvious excitement of going to the Miss New York state pageant, I hope to share my zest for life with the people of Brooklyn. Although i'm originally from Alabama, in the time i've spent in New York, Brooklyn has grown very close to my heart. I love New York (and not in a tourist t-shirt kind of way) dearly and I truly believe this is the city where dreams come true. Thank you, Brooklyn, for helping me get one step closer to mine. :)
Here's a link to the Brooklyn Eagle write-up about this past weekend.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=31&id=34475


I'll be keeping you posted on my up-coming adventures!


Mal






1 comment:

  1. i am so proud of you! i hope you keep us updated often! great blog! you are not only beautiful, talented and intelligent~ you are a gifted writer!
    much love
    mom <3

    ReplyDelete